my engine/my learning curve

To: morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: my engine/my learning curve
From: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring)
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 1996 14:02:33 -0400
Fellow mog-o-philes:

Just so I could do it on the hottest day of the summer so far, I finally
crawled underneath my '67 4/4 last Saturday and dropped the pan to inspect
the allegedly defective rear main oil seal.  External evidence strongly
suggested the leak came from the rear main, if you've been following this
frightful saga!

This is a 120E engined car.  I readily admit that I am at a rather low
altitude on the learning curve when it comes to the many iterations of the
Kent engine.  I am continually surprised.  The fellows at Dave Bean say that
the 120E is the so-called four-bolt style (fly wheel) and should have a rope
seal on the rear main.  My car had a cork seal(?)  Yes, the cork looked a
bit mis-shapen and there seemed to be more than a few spots where oil might
like to leak out, but who can say?  Anyway, again, Ken at DBE was sure that
I was supposed to have a rope seal and therefore PO must have
inappropriately installed a cork one.

Far be it from me to question them at DBE.  However, can someone out there
with the 120E lump confirm this?  I've ordered a bottom end gasket set and
as soon as it comes I'll see what I'll see.  I'm learning, slowly.  Again,
anyone out there with experience with the 120E that I could bug with several
questions????

In the good news department, I inspected one main bearing and not only is it
standard, but it is also quite smooth, no copper showing.  I vaguely
recollected that the PO said he went through the bottom end less than 12,000
miles ago, and it looks it.  New pistons, as well, with no scoring of
cylander walls evident.  I'm happy to say the crank has not been ground, and
the car shows good oil preasure, so any worries about undertaking even a
lower end rebuild are probably worth forgetting.  DBE even says that it
shouldn't be that hard to put the rope seal in *without* dropping the crank.
 Again, I have NO experience with this, but will find out soon enough,
probably.  :-/  I have to say, I like the learning part, but I don't like
lying on my back underneath the car.  Not really clostrophobia, I just don't
like lying underneath 1900 lbs of stuff, even if it is safely supported on
good jack stands.

Regardless of my neurosis, any and all comments are welcomed (on the car).

I'm getting pretty antsy to put this car back on the road (common!  Its
July!).  Anyone want to fly out and help me?  I'll put you up in the guest
room (in the east wing of the house).

Cheers,
Will Zehring