Re: Plus 8 Engines

To: Simon J Orebi Gann <simonog@avnet.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Plus 8 Engines
From: Martin Kurrein <mkurrein@mkurrein.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 11:19:48 +0100
In message <01BB78A6.64391F30@slip71.avnet.co.uk>, Simon J Orebi Gann
<simonog@avnet.co.uk> writes
>As I understand it, within 2 weeks of the BMW takeover of Rover, the BMW
>management asked to meet Morgans to express their hope that Morgans would
>continue to take Rover engines, and to offer to supply.
>
>The Rover 3.9 engine, of course, started as a Buick block powering a Sherman
>tank, one each side.  A classic example of technology evolving rather than
>doing
>step-function change.
>
>----------
My source at the factory indicates that BMW looked at putting their V8
in the Range Rover but it was twice the price and would have needed
retooling for much of the panelwork so any change is unlikely to occur
in the next few years.
Morgan have put a BMW V8 into a Mog chassis - but have not built the car
up completely - it's a rolling chassis and that's it.
---
Martin Kurrein 199 Strand London WC2R 1DR
mkurrein@mkurrein.co.uk
http://www.mkurrein.co.uk/