steering box rebuild

To: morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: steering box rebuild
From: William Zehring <zehrinwa@UMDNJ.EDU>
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 1997 12:03:13 -0400
Fellow moggers:

The current theory on "where the heck is the oil coming from" on my 4/4 is
that its coming from the steering box, up by the driver's side front
corner.  Has anyone out there gone into one of these things for a look?  I
understand it is shimmed ratherer closely and any dealings with the box are
to be undertaken with hesitation.  Its pretty clear this is the source of
my driver's side  frame rail oil leak, and is consistent with the feeling I
had that the viscotity of the leaking fluid was a tick higher than engine
oil (the box should have 90W gearlube in it).  Perhaps the best time to do
this is when the kingpins are replaced??

Any net advice on this upcoming surgery would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Will

Note to Joe DeLucca:  sorry I missed you again this past weekend.  I went
to Watkins Glen for the sportscar races but managed only to see very little
racing but lots of rain and mud.