Re: checking the water temp sender/gauge

To: owner-british-cars@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: checking the water temp sender/gauge
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 1997 16:13:03 -0400
You can also check the calibration of the guage:

  1. With the guage and using the car electrics - remove the sending unit
     from the engine.  If you decide to do this, I suggest that you
     disconnect the low voltage wire going to the coil.

  2. Pull the guage and sending unit out of the car and rewire it in the
     kitchen with aligator clip.

Regardless of which option you chose, place the sending unit, and a candy
thermometer in a small pan of oil.  In the house you can set the pan on
the stove and heat.  If on the car, very carefully use a propain tourch
to heat the oil in the pan.  Check the temp. guage against the candy
thermometer.

Depending on the guage, you can try to calibrate it or simply paint new
marks on the glass.  I'd at least mark 180, 200, 212 and 220.

John

John T. Blair  WA4OHZ          email:  jblair@nhr.com
Va. Beach, Va                  Phone:  495-8229

     75 Bricklin SV1   77 Spitfire