Re: Painting fenders

To: "Vandergraaf, Chuck" <vandergraaft@aecl.ca>
Subject: Re: Painting fenders
From: smithmog@ix.netcom.com
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 20:24:51 -0700
Vandergraaf, Chuck wrote:

> Tom,
>
> My '52 +4 Flat Rad is grey, but the undercarriage (rear axle, front
> suspension), inside of bonnet, firewall, inside of all four fenders is
> red.  According to the information I picked up from the Morgan Works two
> years ago, the original colour was green (presumably BRG).  I haven't
> checked to see what's underneath the red paint, and I can't imagine a
> BRG Morgan with red undercarriage, unless it was somebody's idea of a
> Christmas joke.
>
> With the exception of a view from the front of the car, it's hard to
> spot the red inside fenders.  Out of curiosity, I also had a look at
> what colour photographs I have of Morgans (Harvey's and Bowden's books)
> with no success: the photographs show no discernible colour on the
> inside of the fenders (these area are invariably too dark in the
> photographs).
>
> Morganites,
>
> Is there a standard color for such components as rear axles, etc.  I
> noted that new Morgans under construction in Malvern Links have black
> rear axles, but has this always been the case?
>
> Chuck Vandergraaf
> '52 +4 flat rad
> Pinawa, MB

springs, etc in my 68 4/4 are all painted blue (rather like the Ford
engine color.) I have long suspected that this was the color left in the
spray gun when my chassis came through....but I won't change it.Makes it
easier to spot leaks, etc.than black.Besides, it is one of those peculiar
Morgan mysteries that I'm sure don't trouble,say,Toyota drivers.
                        Jeff Smith
                        1968 4/4 2str.