Re: Mogan Plus 8 transmission

To: LanceKL@aol.com
Subject: Re: Mogan Plus 8 transmission
From: Jeremy Edwards <jeremy@jmemee.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 19:38:15 +0100
LanceKL@aol.com writes

>The transmission in my 81 Morgan +8 finally gave up the ghost at about 75k
>miles.
>
>Am in the process of removing it, and it appears that I will have to pull the
>engine to remove the transmission.  Anyone out there had experience with
>this. Could use any insights or hints available.

Yes, I'm afraid you will have to pull the engine and repair of the
gearbox itself is a bit of a pig.

(This is a minor re-write of a note I wrote for a 4/4, where +8s are
different, I have changed it)

Taking out a +8 engine is easy, so long as you don't try and save time
by not taking things off.

Using a good engine hoist, (or block and tackle from a roof beam), it
shouldn't take more than 3 hours taken slowly and labelling everything.
The engine isn't especially heavy, just bulky so an extra pair of hands
and eyes can save paintwork.

Disconnect the battery
Take the bonnet, (hood?!) off.
Take the cowl off, (see below).
Take the radiator out- some would say not necessary, but sticking the
fan through it is embarrasing.
Depending on the engine and transmission installed and the expected
length of the first motion shaft, consider taking the water pump off.
For a +8 (four speed), there is very little clearence between the
bell housing and the input shaft with the engine pulled right forward.
Take the exhaust and inlet manifolds off- the engine bay is plenty wide
enough, but denting the inner wings is also embarrasing.
Plug up the fuel line and tape this and all other leads, cables etc. to
the inner wings or bulkheads- it makes putting the engine back much less
fiddly.
Prop up the gearbox at the front.
Connect the engine to the hoist
Take off the starter, tape the lead to the bulkhead.
Remove all of the bellhousing bolts and the clutch slave cylinder. Tie
the slave carefully out of the way.
Take the strain on the hoist and dismantle the engine mounts.
Ideally, with two of you, pull the engine forward to clear the first
motion shaft, then tilt the nose up as you lift the engine to clear the
car.

(The additional dismantling at the front, over and above the bare
minimum reduces the chance of damage to owner, bodywork and engine).

Once the engine is out the gearbox will come out easily, but remember to
release the trim from the top of the selector,after taking the lever
off, so it doesn't get damaged when the gearbox is moved and disconnect
the reverse gear switch wires. The gearbox itself is heavy and awkward,
so release it fron its mounts carefully and lower to the floor.

Now find someone to do the gearbox- cost of bits and the need for tools
make them a job to farm-out. If that is not possible or you are a
masochist, the manual, "Rover 3500 1976-87" has details. (GBP17.00 inc.
P&P MSCC bookshop tel: +44 (0)1344 885138, fax +44 (0)1756 752872, will
take Visa).

Reassembly is the reverse, but remember to put the water pump back on
before you refix the radiator- it's much easier.

--
Jeremy Edwards
1972 Morgan 4/4