Re: Aluminium alloy bodywork

To: Sarah <linda.h@virgin.net>
Subject: Re: Aluminium alloy bodywork
From: Martin Kurrein <mograces@mkurrein.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 1997 07:35:52 +0100
In message <33E4E3D4.1C50@virgin.net>, Sarah <linda.h@virgin.net> writes
>This isn't strictly a Morgan question but may be of interest to those with
>cars
>with aluminium bodywork.  In
>order to help pass the time while I am on the waiting list, I have recently
>bought a 1953 Armstrong-Siddeley
>Whitley (which was a rather nicely-styled 4-door saloon with bodywork in an
>aluminium alloy and steel wings).
>The underside of the bonnet appears never to have been painted and is covered
>in
>a "powdery something" which I
>have been led to believe may be the aluminium oxidising.  Does anyone have any
>similar experience and could
>suggest how I should treat it and, subsequently, prevent it from recurring ?

Almost certainly aluminium oxide. There are a number of possible
solutions but the oxide itself actually forms a semi-protective coating
itself. Once the oxide forms it does not (unlike rust on steel) continue
to eat away at the substance of the metal.

You can try polishing it up and then coating in clear laquer or
aluminium based paint - or simply leave it as it is.
--
Martin Kurrein                -      The older I get the faster I was.
mograces@mkurrein.co.uk