Aluminium alloy bodywork

To: Morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Aluminium alloy bodywork
From: Sarah <linda.h@virgin.net>
Date: Sun, 03 Aug 1997 21:02:28 +0100
This isn't strictly a Morgan question but may be of interest to those with cars
with aluminium bodywork.  In
order to help pass the time while I am on the waiting list, I have recently
bought a 1953 Armstrong-Siddeley
Whitley (which was a rather nicely-styled 4-door saloon with bodywork in an
aluminium alloy and steel wings).
The underside of the bonnet appears never to have been painted and is covered
in a "powdery something" which I
have been led to believe may be the aluminium oxidising.  Does anyone have any
similar experience and could
suggest how I should treat it and, subsequently, prevent it from recurring ?

Thanks,

George Hook
Northampton

Email : Linda.h@virgin.net