F2 Engine questions

To: morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: F2 Engine questions
From: EPaul21988 <EPaul21988@aol.com>
Date: Sat, 9 May 1998 22:06:26 EDT
I am working on tuning F376 my 36 F2 Morgan with an 8 HP Ford engine.  The
factory engine manual says to remove and reverse the timing pin on the front
cover, then to turn the engine over with the hand crank until the pin drops
into an indentation.  At this point the distributor timing is supposed to be
at 8 degrees BTDC and the distributor is set to a "0" on the vernier scale on
the distributor.

On this engine the timing pin is fully inserted all the time. I'm going to try
a longer replacement for the pin just in case.   Does any one know an
alternative way to find TDC or 8 degrees BTDC on this engine, short of an
engine tear down??

Going through the ignition I found that the points were set VERY wide as was
the plug gap, when compared to the MFG specs.  The points were not the correct
points as it was impossible to adjust the gap correctly.  The plug gap was
also VERY wide  The car ran , but very poorly. No power.  This is the same car
that shows a richer mixture on 3 & 4 cyl, a problem which I have not yet
attempted to solve.  I did tighten the intake manifold bolts which were in
fact loose.

The car  started backfiring through the exhaust after I adjusted the points
gap tand the plug gap when I tried to start it.  I loosened up the distributor
and tried turning it slowly while cranking it but I could not get it to start.

Any suggestions?

Regards and TIA

Bob Paul