No-scoop bonnet

To: FPS3@aol.com
Subject: No-scoop bonnet
From: tjsouz@epix.net
Date: Wed, 06 May 1998 08:11:50 -0700
Hi Fred et al,
        The subject is choice of carburetor(s) for my flat rad 4 seater
project.  Having progressed to the point of being able to hang the
radiator and temporarily clamp the firewall and original scuttle, I can
now see how thw bonnet will fit.  The good news is that new chassis
length and engine position have worked out and the bonnet will fit fine
in length.  The bad news is that the decision time to chop the right
hand bonnet half for carburetor clearance is now at hand.  You see I
have upgraded the engine to a TR-3 with its twin side draft SU
carburetors and intake manifold.  The old Vanguard engine used a single
downdraft which fit well inboard the bonnet.

        I would like to keep the original bonnet intact, thus hiding the engine
upgrade to the casual observer.

        Now the engineering question.  Is there another manifold and carburetor
combination for a TR-3 engine that will fit inside the bonnet?  And of
course not sacrifice the added power capability of the TR-3. Maybe a
downdraft 2 bbl Weber a la Ford Cortina or something.  A new intake
manifold could be welded up from tubing.  Maybe there's a manifold
available?  Has anyone pondered this problem or seen a solution?  I
understand from Craig Seibert that Melvyn Rutter's flat rad four seater
+4 (Beryl) goes like stink with its engine and suspension improvements.
Craig might have a picture of Beryl showing the starboard side, but so
far hasen't been able to find it.  Perhaps Melvyn might have a published
picture or account showing the bonnet/carburetor interface.  A photo in
the M. Rutter ad shows a front 3/4 of Beryl but unfortunately for me
it's the left front.

        If worse comes to terrible, of course, a hole could be punched and a
SS-type scoop faired in, and although perfectly acceptable to Morgan
standards, I would like to at least explore options that leave the
bonnet  intact, maintain the vintage flat rad look and hide the "boiler
room".

        Any suggestions, hints, references comments greatly appreciated.  It's
a wonderful thing to have so many good Morgan people netted together
with which to share these ideas.

Regards, Tony Souza