Re: Question: Chassis Bend

To: Bob Nogueira <nogera@prodigy.net>
Subject: Re: Question: Chassis Bend
From: Steve Moore <steve.moore@cnetns.tcp.csiro.au>
Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 13:53:25 +1000
Bob,

The reason the plate rubbed on the chassis in the first place was that the
chassis bends inwards at this point. This is due to the axle continually
slamming on the rubber stops when the spring robounds.

Solutions

1. Don't drive on rough roads (no such thing as a smooth one here is Oz).

2. Strengthen the chassis at the rear with particular attention to the area
under the axle. I had a couple of plates welded to the outside of the
chassis extending about a foot either way from the axle. This may not look
good to the purists but it does the job.

3. Fit a telescopic rear shock absorber kit to minimise the rebound in the
first place.

4. Make sure your rear springs are set properly. Some pundits claim you
should replace or at least have the springs reset every couple of years.
They no doubt have shares in a spring company but its worth checking on
older cars.

I suggest 2, 3 and 4. You then should be OK for a long time to come.

Cheers

Steve

>-- [ From: Bob Nogueira * EMC.Ver #3.1a ] --
>
>Hey Moggers
>Has anyone found or read of a  fix  for the  problem of the Morgan chassis
>bending upward aft of the rear axle?
>
>Duchess has developed the problem and I spent the day straightening  it out.
>The cause in her case, is the axle fixing plate had rubbed on the chassis
>causing a weak spot which developed a crack.
>
>Thanks
>
>Bob Nogueira

Please Note new Phone and Fax numbers

Dr. Stephen Moore