RE: Highest Speed So Far

To: "'Arlo J. Levisen'" <alevisen@gdhscats.org>
Subject: RE: Highest Speed So Far
From: "Vandergraaf, Chuck" <vandergraaft@aecl.ca>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 13:32:38 -0400
Arlo,

But how do you know you hit 128 mph?  Just curious, was it based on the
speedometer, tachometer, timed distance?

The reason I'm asking is that, back in the '60s, I used to have a TR2 that
was capable of 100 mph.  The gearing was such that 2000 rpm was equivalent
to 40 mph, 3000 rpm to 60 mph etc.  However, according to something I read,
100 mph was equivalent to 4850 rpm, because at that speed, the rotation of
the tires would result in an increase of the diameter of the tires.

If the same argument to your Morgan, you might have been going even faster
than 128 mph!

Chuck Vandergraaf
Pinawa, MB
'52 +4 (maximum speed in 1998: 0 mph and 0 km/h)