Re: insurance (strictly for original cars?)

To: morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: insurance (strictly for original cars?)
From: Steve Manwell <smanwell@sprintmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 23:28:15 -0400
Well now, this has struck a nerve.  I've been a bit quiet on this list
for quite a while due to too many other things going on (one thing is a
new-to-us '57 4/4), but just yesterday I just about came to my wits end
in dealing with J. C. Taylor.

My father and I have both found JCT reasonable to deal with in the past
on old cars in New York State, and like Phil, I was happy to learn that
Massachusetts was openning up antique insurance to competition this
year.  When I first insured the 4/4 in April, JCT did not yet have their
application to Massachusetts complete, so I had to get liability
coverage expensively from a local insurer and comp. and collision for 70
cents per thousand from Condon and Skelly.  Along with photos of the
car, I explained that the engine size had been increased to 1500cc in
response to their question re. modifications.

I contacted JCT every so often to see how their application was coming
along.  Eventually I got the application and sent it off with the same
info that I sent Condon and Skelly.  Two weeks later I got all the paper
work back from them in the mail with a letter saying they will not cover
the Morgan because its "modified".  (This after calling a couple of
times to see if they had all the info they needed in the application or
if they had any questions.)

Apparently one cc. of increased engine size or any other power
increasing modification is a no-no at JCT.  (What if you have 0.040
oversize pistons, is that modified?)  I called the underwriter who
reviewed my paperwork and tried every angle such as the "4/4 was
available as a 1500 a few years later in the '60's" or "the +4 had a 2
litre engine in 1957 on the identical chassis", etc.  Nope, their rates
are set up strictly for original specification cars and no exceptions.

How their risk can be different whether they are covering a '57 Morgan
built to mid '60's specs (well sort of) or an actual mid '60's Morgan is
beyond me, especially considering that comp. and collision is based on
an agreed value which is not even based on an appraisal for cars worth
less than $20,000.  For that matter a Model A Ford has a fraction of the
performance of a Morgan, yet they might have the same dollar value, and
therefore exactly the same insurance premiums...

The underwriter did mention that they are developing rates -- much
higher no doubt -- for modified cars, but I am surprised they are
turning away customers with largely stock cars in the mean time.

I suppose the real issue here is that if we don't tell these insurers
what is modified about our cars, they may not want to pay a claim if
they find out a car is modified in a way they don't like.

I don't know what Condon and Skelly's claims payment record is, but at
least they seem to be a little more flexible about what constitutes
original specification.

Meanwhile, I'm looking forward to picking up the rebuilt rear axle for
the 4/4 -- it had loose axle tubes -- from Morgan Spares this weekend
and hopefully some Morgan motoring again not too long after that.

--Steve Manwell