Moss transmission

To: morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Moss transmission
From: Phil Roettjer <Phil.Roettjer@quantum.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 08:22:49 -0700
I had a successful weekend replacing the front seal on my Moss trani. I had
rebuilt the transmission over the winter and replaced all bearings and
seals, but the front seal was leaking very badly from the time I got it all
back on the road. I replaced the seal with the standard replacement seal
that is leather and expensive (about $50). When I assembled the front nose
piece what most likely happened is that the seal lips caught on the step as
it was sliding on and reversed part of the seal edge. When I got it apart
this weekend the tension spring was not fully around the seal they way it
should have been and part of the leather was cut.

Anyway I replaced it with a modern neoprene seal (~$9 item) that Morgan
Fuller at Cantab had recommended. I had to have the nose piece machined
since the OD is larger on the new seal ($35). So still cheaper than the
leather seal and it should last longer. I also taped the step on the front
shaft to make sure the seal did not get damaged when sliding it on. The best
thing is that now that I have it all back together and on the road it is not
leaking a drop of oil! I know this is not consistent with the British
constant oil change theory of operation (you never have to change oil, just
keep adding), but my driveway is a lot happier without the oil spots.

Phil Roettjer
67 +4
67 MGB