RE: US Gasoline Pricing

To: "'CHarris990@aol.com'" <CHarris990@aol.com>
Subject: RE: US Gasoline Pricing
From: "Vandergraaf, Chuck" <vandergraaft@aecl.ca>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 14:12:56 -0400
Harris,

I have no problems with using alcohol as a fuel.  In fact, for about three
years I used "gasohol" in the Olds Custom Cruiser until the carburetor
started to leak as a result (I was told) of the ethanol dissolving the
gaskets.  Once grain has been produced, the process of destroying it will
generate CO2 and H2O, regardless whether it is eaten directly, indirectly
via livestock, or burned in an internal combustion engine (although the
internal combustion engine will produce Nox).  Basically, alcohol-powered
cars are "solar powered."  And as long as there is no starvation in places
like Sudan, Ethiopia, or Mozambique, go for it.  Keep in mind, though, that
growing grain also takes energy, in the form of producing the fertilizer,
gasoline/diesel fuel to plow the field and harvest the corn, etc.  The
second law of thermodynamics is tough to beat!

As an aside, if we (US/Canada) are really self sufficient in oil and gas,
why would an OPEC decision to cut back on fuels result in an increase in
gasoline prices?  Why not start up those pumps in Texas, Alaska, and Alberta
and oil the economy?  And, if there is more oil and gas than we can use, why
is the price going up?  If I owned an oil company, I'd sell as much as I
could now because who knows if the stuff is worth anything in the future.

Chuck Vandergraaf (not an economist)