Morgans at Jaguar Meet at Lime Rock

To: "Morgans@Autox.Team.Net" <Morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: Morgans at Jaguar Meet at Lime Rock
From: "Ernest(Chip) Brown" <Chip.Brown@msdw.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 13:09:27 -0400
It was a less than spectacular weekend for the Morgan contingent at Lime
Rock this past weekend. The weather on Friday delivered hurricane-level
rains and wind, although during an "eye' of the storm we had an
excellent long race with all classes thrown together. Saturday, after a
turgid start, was a beautiful day. There were plenty of spectators and a
few road going Morgans and a few other cars from England. Phil Roettger,
who all know from this list, was there with his very nice Lotus, as was
Chris Towner with his trike, Mike Virr with his '59 4/4, Richard Odgers
with a '57 +4, and I brought my '57 +4 as well.. A number of mechanical
problems: Mike's car was shorting through the rotor, stopping him cold,
Dick Odgers had a few teething problems, and I sprung a sizeable gas
leak on the aft carburetor. All fixed in time with the usual patch
repairs. Sadly, Chris Towner's beautiful trike was towed in with what
might be a broken crank in his beautiful flathead Ford engine. On the
positive side of things, novice driver Dick Odgers and Phil Roettger
were both able to harry the very skilled and indecently fast Mike Virr
and occasionally get ahead of him, although I suspect that he was a bit
off the song when that happened. From my vantage point at the very back
of the pack (gridded 31 out of 31 cars) I was still able to pass 4-5
cars, but I give away a lot with my drum brakes and stock engine. But
had a few absolutely gorgeous drives. There's nothing lovelier than Lime
Rock track in the long shadows of a late Spring afternoon, except
perhaps the same venue surrounded by your competition going hammer and
tongs instead of being 0.5 miles back. My day will come!!

Chip Brown