Re: Dirt in the Petrol Tank

To: BobTescione <mogman@rpa.net>, morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Dirt in the Petrol Tank
From: "Colin Cobb " <cobmeister@zianet.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 16:08:14 -0600
Hey Bob,

This is another area where reasonable people often find reasonable grounds
to disagree...

Personally, I do not believe in using any of the tank coatings that are
available to "seal" the inside of gas tanks. True, they will seal the tank
surface off for a while (read, "years") but eventually they will, IMHO,
create additional problems as the sealant eventually flakes off and leaves
big hunks floating around the inside of the tank.

The traditional DIY way to clean inside a tank is to put in a little diesel
fuel, add a length of chain, and shake. And shake. And shake.... Then drain
and repeat. And repeat. And....

I would not use a hair dryer or anything electrical near the demounted tank
even though it is empty.

Actually, I would not use anything near it as the far better way to clean a
tank is to take it out, take it to your favorite radiator shop and have it
hot tanked. At that, it may need to hot tanked several times to get it
really clean.

If the gas tank is seriously deficient, shows lots of rust or pin holes or
so forth, I would try to replace it, probably not too tough on a '51 +4. If
you do elect to just coat the tank interior I suggest you start budgeting
time and money to redo it in fairly short order (a few years).

Meanwhile, do run a good fuel filter in front of the carbs.

Cheers!

--Colin Cobb, Las Cruces, NM, USA
'41 Chevrolet Coupe, '65 Sunbeam Tiger, '66 Morgan Plus Four, '89 Alfa Romeo
Spider