[Morgans] Another try! (Part 1 of 2)

To: morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: [Morgans] Another try! (Part 1 of 2)
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 16:42:49 -0500
With the temps in the high 60s and low 70s, I thought I should try and
take the Morgan out for another run.  You all remember the last time,
about 2 weeks ago.  Came home on a tow truck.

Well this time, she fired right up, after having cleaned the tank, fuel
lines, fuel pump, and carb.  So I figured we were good to go.  But I decided
to stay in the neighbor hood for a while.  Just in case.  We went about 3/4
of a mile from my dad house (where I store the car) and then I was going
the head back.  But dad, who was riding shot gun, said we should go get gas.
Well the gas statioin was less than 1/2 mi. from where I was going to turn
around, and everything was going well.  So I decided to head over to the
gas station.  Got there and shut her down.  Then saw $3.39 on the pump!
No way, gas was only $2.98 at the stations by my house.  There has to be
someplace that's cheaper around here.  So we fire her up and start to
head about 1 1/2 mi. in the other direction (back towards and past dad's
house).  As I'm pulling out onto the street, dad looks at the bill board,
and says, their regular is only $2.93.  Well I'm committed to getting on
the main road.  So I do. But figure I'll go down 1 block to the traffic
light and turn left, and then left again, and head back to the station.
As we are decelerating towards the traffic light, she dies.  I hit the
ignition switch, nothing.  Since I'm in the middle of the street, I
figure we'll push her across the street, thus making the lst left hand
turn and at least be back in dad's neighborhood.  Luckily 2 nice fellows
offer to help us push her across the street and up the little incline.

I check for spark.  Nope!  Ok.  I find a piece of cardboard I had in the
glove box, and a screwdriver and adjust the points.  Hit the ignition,
and she fires!  Great!!  Now lets, head back towards dad, just in case.
We've got about 3 gal of gas in the tank.  So off we go.  We make it
about 3 blocks, and she dies again.  No spark.  So after playing with
the distributor for a while, I say I forgot to bring a volt meter with
me.  I have 2 in my daily driver.  At least I'd brought a small tool
box with me!  We push the Morgan up the street a couple of 100 feet, into
some shade.  I tell dad to have a seat, I'll walk the 3/4 ish back to
his place and bring my car back.  So off I go.

About 15 minutes later, I'm back with my car and the voltmeters.  I check
for 12V at the dist.  Nothing!  So off comes the dist cap, and I start
looking around.  The wire that goes from the insulator to the points had
broken on me years ago, and I ran a new wire.  I thought that had broken,
but I'd have 12 V at the input to the dist.  Then I notice that the points
are closed.  Stick the piece of cardboard between them, and I've got 12V.
Great!  So no I check for continuity on the wire going to the points.  It
reads open.  I figured.  But then how was I getting 0 V at the input of
the destributor?  So I'm thinking that the little insulators for the points
have broken down.  We kick around some ideas and decide it would be easier
to go back to dad's and get his truck and a tow cable and tow the Morgan
home.  We'd effect the repairs there.

continued
Va. Beach, Va
Phone:  (757) 495-8229