morris

1100 engine W/Smoothcase Transmission

To: morris@autox.team.net
Subject: 1100 engine W/Smoothcase Transmission
From: David Kernberger <dkern@napanet.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 18:36:55 -0700
7/26/03

To the group,

        Several months back I discovered there is a problem with a
smoothcase transmission fitting behind a large mainbearing 1100 cc engine.
I had thought that the only problem was getting the 1100 clutch to fit
inside the trans. bell housing, but discovered at that time that retaining
the thicker 1100 rear plate causes the trans. input shaft to not completely
enter the pilot bushing in the crankshaft.  I have been driving 2 cars set
up as above for years and have experienced no obvious problems but am now
faced with the prospect of needing to rebuild 1 of the engines.  If
possible, I would like to solve the shaft/bushing question while I am at it.

        I have numerous smoothcase transmissions and many parts so would
like to continue to use them.  To me this suggests the use of a thin plate
and the need to find a clutch small enough to fit inside the bell housing,
mount on the 1100 flywheel,  and able to take the 1100 engine power.
Apparently the thin plate can be made to fit if the center opening is
carefully enlarged to allow the larger rear crank flange to pass through.
So my real pressing need is to find out about a clutch which will work for
this arrangement.  How about something like a heavy-duty Spridget unit, or
some such??  Does anyone have an answer, or can anyone suggest who I need
to ask??  I am assuming a 948 flywheel will not mount on the larger 1100
crank flange.  Is this so??

        Thanks in advance for any information or ideas anybody might have.

Cheers,
Dave Kernberger