morris

Re: Carb Options

To: "Bill Langdell" <w.langdell@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Carb Options
From: Kevin Wayne Williams <kww@gte.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 15:21:08 -0700
At 09:05 PM 10/13/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>Dear Listers:  I have a 948cc engine engine in my '57 Morris and suspect the
>after market Weber carb and manifold aren't working properly.  It loses power
>in mid throttle and I get poor gas mileage (18 mixed city and highway).  What
>replacement carbs and manifolds do I have?  The original carb has air leaks in
>the throttle shaft.  At the Palo Alto meet I saw some single SU carbs on a
>high manifold.  Are those still available?  Thanks for yor help.   ---Bill
>Langdell, Sunnyvale

One other thing: even though I really think you should switch back to SUs,
one thing that nearly everyone does to a DGV is mistune the idle circuit.
When it is idling correctly, you should have the throttle plate nearly
closed. Get a couple of idle jets smaller and bigger than what you have.
Set the idle setting to the recommended start postion (if I remember right,
1/2 turn on the idle screw after contacting the throttle plate, 1 1/2 turns
out on idle mixture, but check the manual) and then don't turn the screws
more the 1/2 turn. If you don't get it right in 1/2 turn, change the idle
jet. Then set the rest of the jets if necessary. If you don't get the idle
right, the whole progression sequence shifts, and performance falls to hell.

KWW