[NOBBC] What's with this Yahoo Group thing?

To: North Bay British Car Club <nobbc@autox.team.net>, NOBBC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [NOBBC] What's with this Yahoo Group thing?
From: NOBBC <thenobbc@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 09:59:55 -0800
Fellow NOBBC Members,

The NOBBC has two forms of group communication; the email forum (aka
list) (nobbc@autox.team.net), which we established around 2006 (hosted
by Mark Bradakis), and the new Yahoo Group, started in October, 2011.
These two modes of communication both offer members the ability to reach
other members through email, however there are significant differences.
We started the Yahoo Group for two reasons; to minimize email chatter
unrelated to club drives and business, which some members voiced
displeasure with, and to enable those who wanted more interaction to be
able to have more capabilities beyond the text-based only email forum.
Members can be subscribed to one or both modes of communication, both of
which are free.

For those members new to the forum or group, and not familiar with how
either works, please read the following comparisons:

Email Forum (List):
1) Text-based email forum (not HTML).
2) No popups, banners, ads.
3) Email posted to forum reaches all members.
4) Can't attach photos or files, but can insert URLs into text.
5) Members must subscribe first
(http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/nobbc) before posting messages.
6) Usage: notifications of club events and drives, communications for
those members not subscribed to the Yahoo Group.

1) Web-based group forum.
2) Ads are displayed by Yahoo and their advertisers (but no banners or
popups).
3) Subscribers can tailor how they want to receive emails (individual,
digest, or special notices only).
4) Wide variety of features - members can post messages, attachments,
files, photos, links, view and add to the club calendar, sell cars and
parts, upload/download maps of drives, start/vote in polls.
5) Messages can be posted two ways - either by email
(NOBBC@yahoogroups.com), which permits attachments, or by logging onto
the full suite of features is available
Members must subscribe first: (http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/NOBBC/).
6) Messages are searchable by keyword and/or poster.
7) Usage: Full-featured communications, notifications of club events and
drives.

FAQ:
Q) Why don't we just use email?
A) See above. If you only want email, the autox.team.net forum is for
you, but most discussions are moving over to the Yahoo Group.

Q) How do I post a message to the Yahoo Group?
A) You have two options - either by sending an email to
NOBBC@yahoogroups.com, or by logging on to the group's web page at

Q) Why can't I attach photos or files when I post a message in the Yahoo
Group web page?
A) There are separate sections for photos and files - see the sidebar at
the left side of the page. You CAN attach files and photos when you use
email to post messages.

Q) How can I limit the emails I get from the club?
A) 1: Subscribe only to the email forum, or only to the Yahoo Group, 2:
Set notifications to digest instead of individual, 3: Set notifications
to only receive special notifications, then only log on to
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/NOBBC/ when you want to read
messages or use the other features.

Q) Why do I get emails that refer to uploaded files or photos, polls, etc.?
A) Subscribers to the Yahoo Group are notified by email when new files,
photos, polls, ads, or other features have been added by another member.

Q) How do I access these files, photos, polls, etc.?
A) Instructions are provided with each notification for you to follow if
you'd like to view material uploaded to the group's web page. Or, simply
log on to http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/NOBBC/

Q) Why did I have to say something about myself when first joining the
Yahoo Group?
A) This is a moderated group, but since it's web-based, it is prone to
attacks by web bots, trolls and other malefactors.

Q) Why do my photo uploads have to be approved first by the Moderator?
A) Yahoo has restrictions on certain content, as does the NOBBC, so this
is a way to ensure our group is not shut down for hosting obscene or
inappropriate material.

You can learn more about the Yahoo Group features by logging on to to
the web page.

Greg Tatarian

1967 Lotus Elan S3 SE Coupe
1971 Lotus Elan S4 DHC Coupe