Re: [oletrucks] 1958 Apache 36 Wheels

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 1958 Apache 36 Wheels
From: John Dorsey <jrdorsey@strato.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 23:51:19 -0700
Ok guys hang on a second, we may be mixing apples and oranges.

The 60 minutes show was primarly about Center Lock rims. They are the
deadly type. In Florida (maybe all over) it's a $5000.00 fine for a tire
shop to put a tire back on one of these rims.

There are three basic types of multi-part wheels out there, and their
safety records are quite different.

        Center locks come apart in the middle of the wheel and are
dangerous no
matter how well they are put together.

        Split rings have a single split outside ring that forms the
outside rim
lip . It has a split so that it can spread enough to snap over a tapered
groove in the wheel.

        Lock rings have a solid ring that forms the outside rim lip, and
split ring that snaps into a groove on the wheel and the lip.

Lock rings and split rings are only unsafe if the ring doesn't seat
right in the groove. Dirt, rust, poor installation, or sheer bad luck
can result in a poor seat. That's why tire stores use safety cages. They
will assemble the wheel, leave the schrader valve out of the stem, clip
an air chuck on it and air it up in the cage. Then the disconnect the
air hose which lets the air back out and inspect the seating of the
ring. If it's OK they air it back up in the cage, check it again under
pressure, then send it out the door.

I worked for years changing tires as I went through college, and changed
many a multi-piece rim without incident. We didn't even have a cage, we
laid them flat in the center of the back parking lot, then aired them up
while peeking around the corner of the building.

Keep in mind there are millions of split and lock rings out on the road
today, and thousands get changed everyday, but with the demise of center
locks and the use of safety cages I haven't heard of a serious injury
from a lock rim in these parts for a long time.

We did however have a couple of locals that mounted a 16.5" tire on a
16" rim, rolled it down to a tire store and aired it up (without asking
permission). One of them got a helicopter ride to Tampa General Hospital
where they managed to re-attatch his arm, the other only lost a finger.
Then they sued the store for leaving the air hose out where they could
get to it!

If you do decide to loose the wheels let me know, I need another one for
my spare tire!

John
"49-50-54-57-79-95" Chevy 3800 panel, 8-lug lock rings