Re: [oletrucks] questions for my show next weekend

To: oletrucks list <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] questions for my show next weekend
From: J Forbes <jforbes@primenet.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 17:44:44 -0700
Hi, Brian!  You need the Chevy Restoration Info pack, call
1-800-222-1020, have your VIN ready, to get it.  It will answer lots of
this type question.  Here are some answers, since time is short....

Jim

> Hi this is Brian,
> I got some information off my truck and this is it.
>
> CERTIFIED NET horsepower of engine
> 115 at 3600 RPM (235 CU. IN. Thriftmaster)
> 137 at 4000 RPM (238 CU. IN.)

That's 283, not 238   :)

> Color code- Paint 704A and Trim 431XV
>
> Now my show is almost here and I wonder if someone could help me on these
> questions.
>
> 1. What was the original color of the rims? It looks like mine might be
> black but there are lots of paint layers.

If your truck was not two-toned (you only have one paint code, so it
wasn't) the wheels were black.

> 2. Are there names for my color code numbers of  trim-431XV and paint-704A?
> My truck has an original color like greenish turquoise but it is kinda
> darker than regular turquoise.

It's called Sherwood Green.  Yum.

> 3. What part is trim on my fleetside?

Ummmm.....perhaps the interior?

> 4. Should the inside part of my fleetside spear be a certain color? What is
> it?

If it wasn't two toned, then it is not a different color.

> 5.I have old reusted chains on the bed, but whare do they connect on my
> tailgate?

There should be little tabs that poke in to the back of the bed, on the
top inside of the tailgate.  These can get broken off if your truck was
severely trashed by being a work truck for too long.

> 6. My speedometer goes up to 100, but could my truck ever really go that
> fast in 1959?

My 59 would hit 75 on the freeway with a freshly rebuilt 235 (in 1977).
But, since your truck came with a V-8 (see the serial number below, the
V at first indicates a V-8) you might be able to hit 85 or so.  Maybe,
downhill with a tailwind.  But don't try!  3/4 ton gears are too steep
to go this fast.

> 7. How can I get into the glovebox if the key just fits where the truck
> starts and opens on the door? It is locked and the key goes in but can not
> turn at all.

Take a big pry bar....or, just be very patient with wiggling the key, it
should turn the lock eventually.  Only one key was used for all 3 locks
on the truck.  But, some or all of them may have been replaced in the
past 40 years.

> 9. Can mt truck vin number tell where it got made? The symbols are V3E59B
> and then there are just numbers.

The serial number breaks down like:  V = V-8, 3E = 3600 (3/4 ton), 59 =
year, B = Baltimore assembly plant.  The other 6 digits are the
sequential serial number.

Good luck at the show!