Re: [oletrucks] From manual to automatic

To: Banjomike@aol.com
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] From manual to automatic
From: Bill Bailey <billb@gamewood.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 19:35:27 -0400
At 06:43 PM 10/20/1999 EDT, you wrote:
>Hello everybody--
>
>I've been driving around for the past year or so with the original
>transmission and a rearend from a Nova, which has been OK.  I have a 350
>transmission sitting in the garage along with the flywheel and that donut
>thing that weighs too much.

The donut is the torque converter.

 I also have the support piece for holding up the
>back end of the trany.  I want to install this transmission without too much
>pain and effort ( I know, fat chance).

>First of all, (for those of you who have done it) how did you keep the
engine
>in line after taking off the bell housing?

Mine was a small block so I didn't have this problem, the mounts are not on
the bellhousing.

When putting the transmission in,
>did you use a transmission jack or did you gather your friends and neighbors
>to help with the lifting.

Myself and another guy put it in. We put a chain around it and he got
inside the truck, pulled the chain up through the transmission access hatch
in the floor, I was underneath, not a pretty picture. And if the
transmission gets out of level the torque converter will disengage and
you'll bolt it up and it won't work. Been there..done it. In short..use the
tranny jack if you can get it. It will save pain and effort.

What problems do I need to look out for?

See above about the TC disengaging.

Do I need an A/T cooler? Any other helpful tips will be appreciated.

Yep, you sure do.

Bill Bailey
http://members.tripod.com/~oltruck