[oletrucks] Re: bbc

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Re: bbc
From: J Forbes <jforb@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2004 07:41:04 -0700
> Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2004 14:40:09 -0700
> From: mark <ccpanel@jps.net>
> Subject: [oletrucks] bbc
>
> any clues men? whats my comp ratio?
> am i gonna have to get open chamber heads?
> i want 9:1 to be my goal-i want to run cheap gas-i case you guys out in the
> cheep states dont know-i live in cheaeper rural CA and gas here is pushin
> over 2.25/gal in the bay area-its near 2.50/gal.
> anyway...
> cant afford to be runnin 10:1 + and buyin 92octane.
>
> heads-A177 3909802    <<<1967 101cc closed chamber oval port
> block-L670, CE162645, 3969854   <<< 1971 402
> intake-G370, 3955287

Looks to me like you have pretty much the exact same setup I
have in one of my trucks, which gives somewhere around 9.5:1
true compression (although it's rated at 10.25:1) and works
just fine in real life on regular gas.  But mine has a
rather lumpy cam.  If your engine has a stock cam you'll
probably need to run premium, as I did with a similar engine
I had in a 66 Suburban several years ago.

I'm not sure how the other guy came up with 11.5:1, unless
he knows some secret about identifying the pistons without
looking at them?  I'm assuming they are stock 71 402 pistons
which have the small dome, and give 8.5:1 compression with
the large open chamber heads that were installed on those
engines originally.

--
Jim

Visit the Selectric Typewriter Museum at it's new home!
http://www.selectric.org