Re: [oletrucks] axle seals

To: William Schickling <wschick1@twcny.rr.com>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] axle seals
From: Ed Miller <enigmaT120@highstream.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 17:13:22 -0700
Too small a seal driver could make a difference.  With bearing races, I
guess you would have to go on the smaller side to fit inside the
opening, but these seals only have to be flush with the opening, so you
could use the larger one and drive on the stronger part of the seal.

I don't see how grease or silicone (he probably meant a product like
Permatex?) would make a difference but I doubt it could hurt.  I don't
think I ever had the spring come out unless I had distorted the seal
first anyway.

Oh, while I said that was an expensive learning curve, it's not as bad
ad driving in the bearings right behind that seal.  Oh man; I ruined my
first bearing by breaking the cheap plastic cage that held the rollers
in place, probably again by not going in perfectly square.  My next one
I got at Napa, after they opened, and it had a metal cage and went in
fine.

I wonder if a brake drum puller or some big 3 jaw puller could be rigged
up to work in that situation as a press, pushing against the disk in
your bearing/seal installation kit and maybe installing the bearing or
seal in a more controlled fashion than I can with a hammer.

Good luck, let us know what works!
Ed Miller