[oletrucks] rear main seal in 216

To: <oletrucks@Autox.Team.Net>, <old-chevy-truck@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [oletrucks] rear main seal in 216
From: "Will & Merrisa Nelle" <wmnelle@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 10:30:52 -0600
I have noticed that the engine in my truck is going to be part of the
many other Stovebolts with an oil leak problem at the rear main seal.
Fall of last year I started my work on the truck by removing the
transmission and flywheel so that I could replace a cracked ring gear.
In doing so, I found a substantial amount of oil in the flywheel cover
pan (the drain hole had become plugged up).  I guess my hope was that by
some miracle the trouble had disappeared and I wouldn't have to deal
with it, but no such luck.  Since I started the engine for the first
time in nearly 7 years almost two weeks ago and then run it a bit every
so often, I have noticed, on the front (engine side) of the flywheel and
now on the face, bleeding through the mounting holes, engine oil.  Now,
I'm no stranger to oil leaks, but this one seems to be a fair bit more
than I am used to and would like to tolerate.  The biggest thing which
concerns me is soaking the clutch disk with oil.  Has anyone run into
this problem?  What are the consequences?

I'm building a 235 to swap into the truck, so I'm not looking for any
major course of action, but am interested in any tricks that may aid in
reducing the rate at which it leaks.  I guess while I'm on the subject,
how difficult is changing out the rear main rope (I guess some might
call it a seal).  Or is it even worth it?  I'm told that almost all
develop a leak with the rope seal.  What do you think?

Will Nelle
Longview, TX
'51 & '53 3600 Chevy