rolls-bentley

Early Shadow (late Cloud?) Power Antenna

To: Rolls-Royce@yahoogroups.com, rolls-bentley@autox.team.net,
Subject: Early Shadow (late Cloud?) Power Antenna
From: "William 'Chip' Lamb" <chip@wmsbrg.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 20:34:53 -0500
I took the inner fender liner out of the right hand wheel well of SRX1248,
a 66 SS, to extract the inoperative power antenna. Imagine my surprise when
I found that a.) it was the original antenna and b.) it was a Delco antenna
just like a pre-70 Cadillac. Now differences between the Cadillac and the
RR are mainly in that a mast tower extension was made to accomodate a lower
mounting height and accomodate also a screw-in nut rather than a clamping
situation with a flush escutcheon like the Cadillac. As a result the lowest
tube of the antenna is locked to the mast tower preventing the mast from
going all the way down and below the line of the fender. It will stick up
some when completely down as a result, but I guess this was an acceptable
compromise.

Naturally this sucker hadn't worked in years, but since it was a lifetime
California car, there was little moisture damage. Having withdrawn the unit
I pulled the armature cover off the motor and pulled out the armature
itself. (I've done this before, having owned plenty 60s and 70s Cadillacs,
so I was benefitted by being on familiar turf). One brush was stuck in and
the armature contacts were very carbon tracked. Some Nevr-Dull wadding
polish solved the carbon tracking, I filed the brushes flat again, oiled
the drive mechanism for the mast cable and refitted the armature. Voila.

I seem to recall that later Shadows use a couple variations on the
Hirschmann 6000. These are even easier to clean and "rebuild" since the
access cover is the entire side of the unit. A much more common mast is
used on these which should (no reason not to) cross over to a similar
vintage Mercedes-Benz. I have done some Hirschmann repair before and also
know a guy who works for Becker of N.A. which used to handle all the
proprietary Hirschmann antenna service for MB.

Needless to say I am always amazed at the thought of the number of these
perfectly good and very serviceable American (or German) antennas which
were discarded by foolish people and service personnel. Don't make the same
mistake!

If anyone has a picture of one of these mounted to a car with the "correct"
fender escutcheon I'd like to see it. What I got was only part of the
original mount. Likewise if anyone knows what the securing nut is or could
send me a picture of that part I'd be much obliged.

mailto:chip@wmsbrg.com

Chip
66 SS SRX1248 "UNDER CONSTRUCTION"

--