Re: floor paint

To: Chris Kantarjiev <cak@aratar.com>, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: floor paint
From: R John Lye <rjl6n@uva.pcmail.virginia.edu>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 96 17:31:19 EST
On Jan 9,  4:56pm, Chris Kantarjiev wrote:
> My local paint supplier tells me that I shouldn't even bother,
> because the tires will tend to pull up the paint.

I've also heard that's a problem.

> But if I insist, he'll sell me a Pratt&Lambert product - a two-part
> epoxy, roughly $80 in materials to paint my 16x20 garage.

That sounds relatively cheap.  Griot's has some garage floor
paint that, as I recall, was a bit more expensive than this
- big surprise, eh?

> GrassRoots Motorsports is pushing something from "Precision
> Epoxy Products" in Georgia - they want $3 by mail for a catalog.
> (And don't provide a phone number!)

They did an article on this stuff in the spring of '94, I
believe.  I can dig it out for you if you'd like.  I was
impressed enough by their article to get the catalog, which
really makes it sound good...  The stuff is extremely expensive,
and quite labor intensive to install - I'd guessed that it
would take me at least a week of evenings to get it painted;
its a several layer process, with buffing or sanding between
coats.  I finally decided not to go with it but really wonder
if it might not have been worth it.

John Lye

rjl6n@uva.pcmail.Virginia.EDU