Fastening to concrete

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Fastening to concrete
From: Bill Harkins <wharkins@tfb.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 96 21:37 PST
I'm new to the list. We seem to have covered benches, shop lighting and
compressors. In regard to the shop floor, yo u all may know about this, but
I discovered an interesting tool over the holidays while helping my son do
some partitioning work in his basement. To fasten stud wall sills to
concrete flooring, there is a neat tool made by Remington (the ammo people)
that drives a special nail through the 2x4 into the concrete about 2 inches.
It uses .22 cartridges with no bullet as the charge. It is fired by a sharp
blow with a hammer while holding the spring loaded tool against the work.
Thus it is impossible to use it as a weapon making it available to anyone. I
have built houses in which a contractor uses a similar device, but had a
special permit to use. The Remington tool was about $25 at Home Depot in
Virginia.

An obvious shop use is to build a 2x4 platform secured to the concrete and
mount with lag screws your compressor, shop press, free standing shelving,
drill press, etc. Sure beats the hassle of trying to use masonry bits and
expansion studs.