Shop floor covering

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Shop floor covering
From: Bill Harkins <wharkins@tfb.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 96 21:37 PST
Continuing on the shop floor, who has the ultimate answer to covering it? I
built my current shop in 89 using a Rustoleum water-based two part epoxy
coating. It has stood up pretty well under heavy usage, but it is not
impervious to solvents (brake fluid really removes it) and any tires sitting
in one spot for several months will nicely pull it up, and getting the epoxy
off the tire is a pain. Has anyone found a better spreadable covering product?

The San Diego Auto Museum has used 2ft x 2ft composition tiles,
appropriately in black and white for their floor. I don't know if they are
vinyl or asphalt, but they show almost no wear and there is a lot of tire
movement on the floor. I have not been able to locate a supplier of the two
foot squares, as most commercial covering is one foot square. Any suggestions?

Another covering I have seen in at least one shop is indoor/outdoor
carpeting. This looks really nice, until the first oil spill or drip. Since
I do MGs, there is no way that I would consider that material! However, it
is relatively cheap, available in several colors, and nice to walk on.

Once we get benches and lighting in place, shall we work on the flooring?