Re: Toe-in

To: Veeduber@aol.com
Subject: Re: Toe-in
From: Phil Ethier <ethier@freenet.msp.mn.us>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 1996 11:45:56 -0600 (CST)
I apologize in advance for sending this to a list in which it is not=20
appropriate.  However, when I am dissed in public, I like to defend=20
myself in the same forum.  The whole thing started when someone made what=
=20
I considered to be sweeping generalities which I felt were=20
unsupportable.  Perhaps I jumped a bit too hard in my debunking of these=20
statements.  I never meant my response to be a flame, and I am sorry if=20
it was perceived as such.  Here is what it looks like from my point of=20
view.  I won't be taking up space on this forum for this altercation=20
again.  I love a good argument with no personal attacks, but I realize=20
this is shop-talk, not oddball-suspension-talk.

Veeduber@aol.com wrote > >>

> >>...  On older vehicles having king-pin style steering spindles,
> >> where camber is set by stacks of shims,=20

Phil Ethier wrote > >

Veeduber@aol.com wrote >

> This statement is untrue when applied to Volkswagens

My statement is perfectly true, applied to all cars.  Using kingpins does=
=20
not obligate an automotive designer to use shims for alignment.

The original statement you made said, "On older vehicles".  This surely=20
does not limit it to Volkswagens.  The statement, and others, implied a=20
correlation of kingpins with alignment shims: =20
IF you have kingpins in an older vehicle, THEN you have shims. =20
IF you do not have kingpins in an older vehicle, THEN you do not have=20
shims.=20

This notion is absurd.  There is no correlation between these features in=
=20
automotive design.

> >> I do not know
> >> of any ball-joint type suspensions that permit such adjustments;

You did not say that your knowledge was limited to Volkswagens.  The=20
reader was left to infer that you believed that there were no cars in the=
=20
world which used ball joints AND alignment shims.

This is demonstrably not true.  The SAAB 96 and numerous other vehicles,=20
including many USA cars, used upper and lower balljoints and had full=20
adjustability of camber and caster using shims.  The MG Midget, many Ford=
=20
pickups and numerous other vehecles used kingpins and had no setup for=20
alignment via shims.

> >> adjusting the shim stack always
> >> causes a slight change in toe-in which should then be reset. =20

> >Yes.  Also, many shim changes will also affect caster.

> This is not clear, unless Phil is referring to shimming the torsion tube
> housing.  On Volkswagens,=20

There you go again.  You are limiting your comments to the unusual setup=20
in the air-cooled VW and ignoring the world at large. =20

On a double-wishbone front suspension which uses shims (not all of them=20
do, of course), a typical way to set alignment is with shims on both the=20
forward upper arm and the rearward upper arm.  To preserve the same=20
caster whilst changing camber, the same thickness of shims must be added=20
or subtracted from BOTH stacks.  Caster is adjusted by changing the=20
relative thickness of two stacks.  The proper order of setting is thus: =20
Caster, Camber, Toe.

> As I said, I do not know of any ball-joint type suspensions that permit s=
uch
> adjustments. I have never worked on a SAAB.  Nor an Apperson Jackrabbit. =
The
> SAAB is among the several hundred brands of automobile with which I've ha=
d no
> experience.

Then why didn't you tell us in the first place that you were limiting=20
your statements to VW cars?  You made a sweeping statement about "older=20
vehicles".  When I point out that the statement is without basis, you=20
attack me with an Apperson Jackrabbit.  :-)

> >How do you set camber on a Chevy pickup?  Or don't you?

> If you can be more specific with regard to year, I'll be happy to dig out=
 the
> information and explain the procedure to you, although my General Motors
> experience is limited to GMC trucks, older ones for the most part.

Since GMC and Chevy pickups are virtually identical badge-engineered=20
vehicles...                                    =20

I don't know for a fact that the double-wishbone ball-joint front=20
suspension used on the GMC and Chevy pickups use shims for alignment, I=20
wanted confirmation of my belief that they do use shims for alignment=20
before using it as an example to refute the notion that ball-joint=20
vehicles do not use shims with a vehicle which is more common in the=20
USA=CAthan either SAAB or Volkswagen.

> >Phil "this may not be shop talk?" Ethier

This was my subtle way of suggesting that we were getting way too=20
detailed about car talk on a list which is supposed to be for shop talk. =
=20
Too subtle, apparently.

I suggest, if you want to have detailed conversations about=20
Volkswagen cars, that you visit the USENET Newsgroups=20
rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled and rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled.

We now return you to your regularly-scheduled discussion of barns,=20
garages, basements and Quonset huts, and the distribution and setup of=20
the equipment, tools and toys therein.

Phil Ethier <ethier@freenet.msp.mn.us>