Re[2]: Air compressors

To: "Thomas Wannenburg" <twannen@isnet.is.bgsm.edu>,
Subject: Re[2]: Air compressors
From: BBRANDT@TCMAIL.FRCO.COM
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 1996 16:23:50 -0500

Jon writes

> The HP ratings that Sears uses are false advertising in my opinion. I
>notice that their 5 HP model has a maximum current draw of 14.7 amp @ 120v
>-the same as my 3.5 HP unit.  I short, the MAXIMUM input power on their 5
>HP model is a bit over 2 HP.  How they rate the maximum output at 5 HP is a
>true feat of wonder and a violation of the basic laws of nature!  I also
>notice that they do this same trick on most of their power tools.

Sears quotes the max hp developed by their motors *at stall*. While this is
a legitimate rating it hardly reflects the true capability of most tools. It
works great with a table saw because as you bog the motor down in cutting
heavy material the hp increases to stall but a compressor or sander or other
tool that does not go to stall is considerably overrated by this method.

Just my $.02

BRB