Re: Lifting a car

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Lifting a car
From: Battmain@aol.com
Date: Wed, 29 May 1996 22:40:42 -0400
In a message dated 96-05-27 14:37:11 EDT, gaetanc@berclain.com
(Gaetan Corneau) writes...

My garage is 16'x22', the ceiling is about 10' high. I want to lift my car
as high as possible (but 3 feet would be OK). Solutions I can't use:

-buy a lift (too expensive, garage too small)
-ramps (where do I put those when I'm not using them?)
-pit (garage is already built, and the pit would always be "full" of water,
since garage is near a river).<<<<

Another vote for a good floor jack and jack stands.

My garage is actually smaller than yours!  I have ramps, but they are
practically useless for one car. (Too high, front air dam too low.)
When not in use, they get stacked along the back wall. Same situation
with the pit. In Florida, if you go down three feet you hit water.
(Especially
if you have a canal in the back yard!)

As for lifts, I've seen the two post lifts, and also the four post lifts. The
two post lifts have huge posts, but you may want to check the four post
lifts. The posts are a lot smaller than the two post lifts.

Brian Lyn Fatt
battmain@aol.com