Re: Grand Tool: Bead blaster

To: "R.M. Bownes III" <bownes@emi.com>
Subject: Re: Grand Tool: Bead blaster
From: jblair@exis.net (John T. Blair)
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 23:27:36 -0400
At 10:07 PM 6/18/96 -0400, R.M. Bownes III wrote:

>I dunno, a friend of mine got the 'build-your-own-blasing-cabinet' kit from
>somewhere about 3 years ago for about the same price. A sheet of plywood
>and a 2'x3' hunk of expanded steel later, we had built a blasing cabinet
>big enough to put decent sized parts in. The problem I always have with
>the little bench-top units is that I want to blast something 0.25" larger
>than the cabinet.
>
>This one is big enough to hold just about anything I've ever needed to
>beadblast save the frame to my GT6...
>
>Like I said, as I recall, the kit was about $130, including the gun, the
>window, the hose, the foot operated pedal, the trap door for the bottom,
>40 lbs of bead, and the gloves.
>

>Sand works well, but for different jobs, you really do want different
>material. For aluminum, you usually want to use walnut shell, while for
>steel, you want sand, and for cast irin, you want silica bead. And different
>sizes for different jobs. It's a genuine science, it is.

Sounds like the kit that TIP sells.

It seems that there is never a "right" solution.  While I'd love to have a
larger
cabnet, I don't have any room in my shop to house a decent size cabnet.

As I said, I have the smaller bench top one from Harbor Freight.  Only
problem I
don't have a bench.  Everything is portable.  For a bench I use a Black&Decker
Shopmate with a 4' x 4' plywood table top.  Now both the stand and the top
can be
stored out of the way.  The cabnet sits on the floor and become another
storage shelf.

John
John T. Blair  WA4OHZ          email:  jblair@nhr.com

     75 Bricklin SV1   77 Spitfire