Torches

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Torches
From: dave.williams@chaos.lrk.ar.us (Dave Williams)
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 1996 22:52:00 +0000
-> for around $250 to $300.  I was wondering how long I could go on a
-> gas fill with a set like this, using it occasionally to heat
-> something or

 I bought one of the portable bottle sets about ten years ago, and a
top-line Harris torch rig.  I get, oh, maybe an hour, hour and a half of
cutting out of a bottle set.  I seldom do any welding.

 I bought the oxyacetylene rig because it would both cut and weld, and
it could do it without electricity.  The local welding shop made up a
set of 8 foot hoses which were much easier to handle than the usual 20
footers, and only charged me for the fittings since the short piece of
hose was a remnant.  Same to $10, I think.

 The little wheel and axle rig most of the plastic bottle carriers come
with is a joke.  I've been meaning to make some wide feet to keep the
carrier from tipping over, but never got around to it.

 The original plan was to mount the bottle carrier on a metal backpack
frame so I could go out into junkyards like Acetylene Man, torching off
bumpers, bolts, and whatever.  In practice the bottles are light enough
it's been fine just to use the carrier.

 Now for a question:  does anyone know where I can get a tee wrench to
operate the little 1/8 sq. valve on the acetylene bottle?  The set came
with a tiny little dogbone wrench, but I'd like a tee like I use on the
big bottles.