Re: Radiant Heat in shop floor

To: cak@dimebank.com (Chris Kantarjiev)
Subject: Re: Radiant Heat in shop floor
From: Berry Kercheval <kerch@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 15:28:18 PDT
>>>Chris Kantarjiev said:
 > In California, it has a bad rap because of a man named Eichler; he
 > built cheap and quick homes in the SF Bay ARea just after WWII.
 > They all had radiant heat in the floor. Unfortunately, they cut
 > corners to get these things built - the pipes are either cheap
 > cast iron or ungalvanized steel (I can't remember at the moment)
 > and worse, they added salt to the concrete to make it cure faster.
 > The pipes lasted an amazingly long time, given these odds; most
 > people didn't have to replace the boilers and pipes for 30 to 40 years.

Around now, in other words.... :0

To be fair, after the first few years they realized what was going on and
switched to copper pipes, like my house, built in 1957, has.  My system holds
pressure just fine and the warm floors are WONDERFUL on cold winter mornings...

  --berry

Berry Kercheval :: kerch@parc.xerox.com :: Xerox Palo Alto Research Center