Re: Shop Presses

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net, poller@chromatic.com
Subject: Re: Shop Presses
From: GGORMAN@dsava.com (Gorman, George)
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 12:53 EST
Jack:

It's nice to know I wasn't the only one to try removing rear axle bearings with
the HF A-frame.  I probably would have tried exactly your  method (using
platform on the bottom) but my axle was just about an inch too long to do even
that.  If I have to do this again, I'll end up building a frame (or jig)
similar to the one you proposed so that I could raise the whole unit to accept
the axle length, open up the area to accept the bearing width and press against
the floor.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, I replaced all stressed bolts in the frame with
Grade 8s.

George Gorman

Jack Poller wrote:

Same thing here, except the bottom was the issue.

Normally, when you press, the work piece rests on a heavy
duty steel platform.  The platform is supported by two
pegs that go through the main legs of the press, distributing
the force of the press downwards.

I sized my HF A-Frame press so I could press RX7 rear axle
bearings (H-Frame was too small).  However, because the
axles are so long, they won't fit in the press with the
press-platform.  Therefore, I made my own platform
out of wood and metal.  However, this platform ended
up resting on the bottom cross-brace, and ended up
distributing the press force sideways, against the
legs, instead of downwards, towards the floor.

The outward force extered itself on 4 grade 2 bolts,
which promptly snapped.  Grade 8 replacements
were sufficienct, however, when I have to do axle bearings
again, I'll make a custom jig so that the force
of the press is exerted down into the floor, instead of
sideways.

-- Jack