Re: Intro and welding question

To: "Scott Beckman" <s-beckman@ti.com>, <SHOP-TALK@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Intro and welding question
From: "Sueli Ruof" <wmrunner@westol.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 20:37:50 -0500
> Could someone please tell me the difference and advantages of a mig
welder vs.
> an arc welder?

A mig welder allows you to produce a long continous weld.  Arc initiation
is generally easier.  Welding tends to be more controlable, at least for a
novice.  The quality of a CO2 or Argon-CO2 shielded home MIG is not as good
as an arc welder (SMAW/stick/manual metal arc/whatever you want to call it)
but it is MORE than adequate for any repair a novice should attempt.  In
most instances mig is probably going to do a better job on thin material.

> I know a mig is new and state of the art, but I have an old (but it still
> works!) arc welder.  It is adjustable down to 30 amps.  Would I be able
to use
> this to weld thin sheetmetal ?  I am not sure which gauge.  I am just
> brainstorming.

mig isn't very new but it did come along a lot later than stick welding.
"Solid state" mig units, similar to the home shop units that are popular
now, hit the market a little over 20 years ago.  Arc welders do not wear
out.  The on/off switch might die and fan equipped models may lose a fan
occasionally but you have to do something intentionally stupid to break a
transformer.

With practice, you'll be able to weld 1/16 inch sheet with your welder.
With lots of practice you can tack/spot weld 0.045 inch.  It's possible to
stitch together lots of spot welds on thin stock to make a continuous weld
but it's rarely worth the effort.  You'll want to use 1/16 inch diameter
E6013 (US AWS designation - you did say the project is a camaro) to weld
sheet metal.

We all have predjudices and preferences.  I KNOW I'll have a sanity lapse
someday and drag home a Lincoln torpedoe welder just because it will look
"right" sitting in the garage next to my 59 Morris.

Bill Ruof