Re: Engine rebuilding advice needed

To: DAVES2UP@aol.com
Subject: Re: Engine rebuilding advice needed
From: Phil Ethier <ethier@freenet.msp.mn.us>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 1996 09:11:21 -0600 (CST)
On Sun, 1 Dec 1996 DAVES2UP@aol.com wrote:

> I have a 1979 Mg Midget that I would like to "beef" up the motor a bit.I'm

A better list for this discussion is probably triumphs@autox.team.net
as the 1979 MG Midget is a Spitfidget, with a 1500cc Triumph Spitfire motor.
shop-talk@autox.team.net is supposed to be about shops and tools, not
British engines.  Still, I guess it can't hurt to comment, as long as we
don't go to hell with the gag.

> thinking about  getting a few performance parts like Weber DOCE carb.

DCOE.  The side-draft Weber.  Not worth it on a Spridget engine without
bigger valves.  On the Spitfidget engine, I suppose you are stuck with
the Zenith-Stromberg carbs.  They are failly unloved.  A decent pair of
SU carbs may fit in the stock manifold.  Or another popular trick on
Britcars seems to be to use one SU of a larger size.  I don't know your
manifold.  Ask on triumphs@autox.team.net or mgs@autox.team.net

> Roller
> Rockers,a performance cam,Duel Point Distributor(recommended to use with the
> Weber),

Not sure why a dual-point distributor would be a better deal than a good
electronic ignition.

> and Monza Header and Exhaust.Now these parts are basically " bolt-on"
> performance parts,which is good because I would preffer to avoid any major
> engine work like, boring or milling the head or changing valves.Anyway my
> concern is according to my catalogs I should rebuild my engine because these
> parts will increase any weak links in the engine.I just cannot decide if I
> should rebuild because the car only has 20,000 original miles on it because
> it sat in my garage for about 7 or 8 years and didn't move.The exterior parts
> were effected by weather like dry rotting and a little rust but do you think
> the motor is OK? It has run since and pretty well I must say,but I want to
> get an opinion on that engine.

Do a compression test.  If that looks a bit odd, then do a leak-down
test.  I don't think I'd pull apart a 20,000-mile engine on spec.

If I had a Spitfidget, I wouldn't worry about the motor.  I'd get the
suspension and ride height straightened out first.  British Phlem-sucking
Leland really ruined the Spridget by jacking it up.  I'd fix that first.

I'll send you a Spridget file by private mail.

Phil