Re: Micrometer responses

To: "Phil Ethier" <ethier@freenet.msp.mn.us>
Subject: Re: Micrometer responses
From: "Michael Sloane" <msloane@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 16:35:10 -0500
Absolutely! In fact, if it is cylinder bores you are talking about, bore
shape is even more important than diameter. Internal combustion engines
tend to wear more side-to-side than front-to-back, due to lateral forces
imposed in the normal functioning of the Otto/Diesel cycle. One of the neat
features of the old Triumphs (and many old tractors, to which Triumph owes
some of its heritage) is the fact that you can turn the cylinder liners 90
degrees and get even more life from them. I don't know if anyone bothers to
do that kind of thing anymore, but that is what we used to do with them
back in the '50s and early '60s. Any other kind of gauge except a "T" gauge
will not give you as accurate picture of the shape of the cylinder. Also
remember that you must measure not only the center of the cylinder but the
top and botton.

Mike Sloane (msloane@worldnet.att.net

shop-talk@autox.team.net; Jack I Brooks <jibrooks@JUNO.COM>