Re: Fluke Automotive meters

To: TATERRY@aol.com
Subject: Re: Fluke Automotive meters
From: gregory j melden <gjmelden@unm.edu>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 1997 17:27:43 -0700 (MST)
On Tue, 21 Jan 1997 TATERRY@aol.com wrote:
>=20
> He has asked me to help out by buying him a Fluke model ET88DMM.....this
> thing is $430 bucks in the MAC tool catalog.  So the question is, do any =
of
> you know how I can get one cheaper!!
>=20
As others have suggested, consider a lower end DMM, such as the Fluke 78.
I haven't seen really cheap models that offer automobile functions such
as RPM and dwell.  By the way, Harbor freight is selling the model 78 for
only $159.97 (30685-3TRA).  Not _too_ bad, and you really can't go wrong
owning a Fluke (...the usual caveat:  I'm only a satisfied customer, not
a stockholder).   --greg

From=20the Fluke web site:

If you need the special functions automotive repair requires, use the Fluke=
 78 -- A full-featured DMM that adds RPM, dwell and temperature. All for a =
reasonable price.=20

The Fluke 83 offers most of the features and accuracy of the 87 and 88, but=
 for less cost. For an all-around high-performance DMM, the 83 is an excell=
ent choice.=20

If you need to capture high speed glitches, use the Fluke 87 -- It offers 1=
 millisecond glitch capture.=20

If you want the best all-around automotive multimeter, use the Fluke 88 -- =
Specialized automotive functions like RPM, duty cycle, dwell, relative chan=
ge, lo-ohms and
smoothing. Complete with deluxe silicone insulated test leads, probes and c=
lips. Packaged in a battle-tough carrying case.=20

at adds RPM, dwell and temperature. All for a reasonable price.=20=0D=0DThe=
 Fluke 83 offers most of the features and accuracy of the 87 and 88, but fo=
r less cost. For an all-around high-performance DMM, the 83 is an excellent=
 choice.=20=0D=0DIf you need to capture hi
gh speed glitches, use the Fluke 87 -- It offers 1 millisecond glitch captu=
re.=20=0D=0DIf you want the best all-around automotive multimeter, use the =
Fluke 88 -- Specialized automotive functions like RPM, duty cycle, dwell, r=
elative change, lo-ohms and=0Dsmoothin
g. Complete with deluxe silicone insulated test leads, probes and clips. Pa=
ckaged in a battle-tough carrying case.=20=0D=0D=0D

=F0=02