Re: torque

To: dave.williams@chaos.lrk.ar.us, shop-talk@triumph.cs.utah.edu
Subject: Re: torque
From: BMcgu22954@aol.com
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 1997 20:22:23 -0500 (EST)
In a message dated 97-02-08 18:36:28 EST, dave.williams@chaos.lrk.ar.us (Dave
Williams) writes:

> -> Are you sure its really only 7-12 inch pounds?  We've got three 1/4"
>  -> drive beam-type torque wrenches in the lab (one's a Sears
>
>   You're not measuring a fastener, you're measuring how tight the bearing
>  is.  When properly assembled the bearing is no longer loose; the rollers
>  and races are deformed very slightly with preload.  You know when it's
>  preloaded properly when it takes 7-12 inch pounds to turn the shaft.

I was watching Tom, of Toms' Differentials fame (L.A.) set up a Dana 44 for a
cobra for me. He used a Snap-On torque wrench with a dial / tattle tale on it
when setting preload on pinion bearings. He stated this was the only reliable
way for him to set bearing preload.
Granted, they're expensive, but worth it. I also use that kind to work on CNC
machine internals.

Bruce McGuire