Re: Re-Wire Welders

To: JackiHarry@aol.com, shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Re-Wire Welders
From: jblair@exis.net (John T. Blair)
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 1997 15:10:14 -0400
At 11:58 AM 4/19/97 -0400, JackiHarry@aol.com wrote:

><snip>
>>Have fun, and remember, never weld near the fuel tank or fuel
>>lines! Drain and remove the tank if necessary and always keep a good
>>quality fire extinguisher nearby.
>
>I second that! And welding near seams can have all sorts of materials burn
>off.

One other item, if you are working on floor boards.  Be careful if
they are undercoated.  I was welding a patch in the Spit, and the
undercoating caught fire.  It burn pretty slowly, and can readly
be extinquished.  But BE CAREFUL!!!

Also, if you have any of the plastic gas cans, keep they away from
your welding.  I had some metal conditioner in a plastic coke bottle
several feet away from where I was working.  A little while later I
smelled something funny.   A spark had hit the coke bottle and put
a couple of holes in it and I had phosforic acid all over the floor.
Thank GOD it wasn't gasoline.  (Also caught a broom on fire.)

John

     75 Bricklin SV1   77 Spitfire

The one with the most toys, wins!