Re: Torch or MIG

To: dshook@usc.edu
Subject: Re: Torch or MIG
From: ps4330@okc01.jccbi.gov (Peter Schauss x 2014)
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 08:55:12 -0400
> Thanks for the advice/info.  Cutting steel (thick steel) is not an issue
> for me, and ease of welding (lack of skill?) is probably the biggest
> issue for me. I'll take your advice and buy a MIG.
>
> I only have 30 amp 230 volt service in my shop (like a moron, I went
> cheap on wire and only buried 10awg), so with a 6hp compressor, a bunch
> of shop lights, grinder, drill press, small fridge, etc., the Lincoln
> SP-170T looks good to me.  It only requires 20 amps input, and according
> to the tech sheet I got, is rated at 130 amp at 30% cycle (rated 170 amp
> maximum). I guess that makes it about 57% efficient.
>
> One reason why I asked for input, is that it seems anytime I try to save
> money (e.g., the 10 gauge wire), it comes back to haunt me.
>
> I won't even tell you that I used schedule 40 PVC to run all my air
> lines.  They are, however, for the most part, anyway, behind plywood,
> peg board or in someway protected from impact and I am protected from a
> PVC "fur coat."  I did this long before I read the archives on iron vs.
> PVC air lines.
>
> See why I'm asking about the welder?

After only one project, I don't think that I qualify as an expert on
MIG welding, but I will make a few contributions anyway.  I did the
floors an sills on my MGB with a Lincoln Weldpack 100 + the MIG conversion
kit.  This system runs on 110 and I had it plugged into the same 20 amp
circuit as my 5hp compressor (and the dryer and the dishwasher).
For the work I was doing, I never used the top settings and I did not
find the lack of an infinite adjustment on the voltage to be a limitation.

One thing that I would suggest ( which I did not do ) is go to a local
welding shop, explain to them what you are planning to do and what your
limitations are (circuit capacity ... ) and find out what system they
suggest.  You might end up paying a bit more for your welding setup, but
you will be less likely to buy the wrong system.

One further suggestion - buy a second gas tank and .  There is nothing worse
than running out of MIG welding gas at 12:10 Saturday afternoon when
the local welding shop closes at noon.

Peter Schauss
ps4330@okc01.jccbi.gov
schauss@worldnet.att.net