Re: Gas powered Refrigeration?

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net, Nick Jacobs <jacobs@flex.net>
Subject: Re: Gas powered Refrigeration?
From: "John Loftin" <john.loftin@ccmail.eo.ray.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 97 06:53:45 EDT
     The gas powered refrigeration is based on an "absorption cycle" (a
     thermodynamic term).  In an absorption cycle, a secondary fluid, the
     absorbent, is used to absorb the primary fluid, the refrigerant, after
     the refrigerant has left the evaporator.  The vaporized refrigerant is
     converted back to liquid phase in the absorber.  The solution of
     absorbent and refrigerant is then pumped to the generator.  In the
     generator, heat is added, and the more volatile refrigerant is
     separated from the absorbent through distillation (this is where heat
     is used for "cooling").  The refrigerant continues to the condenser,
     expansion valve, and evaporator, while the absorbent returns to the
     absorber.

        Absorption machines represent only a small percentage of
     refrigeration systems in operation (not very efficient).  An
     absorption machine is an excellent way to utilize waste heat (in
     industrial applications).