Re: Gas powered Refrigeration?

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net, Daryl.Wirges@ccmail.eo.ray.com
Subject: Re: Gas powered Refrigeration?
From: "John Loftin" <john.loftin@ccmail.eo.ray.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 97 17:42:03 EDT
     Sorry about my technical response.  How about this:

     To produce a cooling effect, you must "move" heat from a heat source
     to another heat source.  In your home, your AC moves heat from the
     inside and "rejects" it to the atmosphere.  In this example, the air
     inside your house is cooler than the ambient air outside...  You are
     taking heat from a lower temperature reservoir and "pumping" it into
     reservoir at a higher temperature.

     In the absorption cycle, you are taking heat from a lower temperature
     reservoir (refrigerator, AC, cooler, etc.) and pumping it into a
     higher heat reservoir (a burning gas: propane, natural gas, methane;
     solar collector, etc.).  If you think of it this way, it might make
     more sense.

     The absorption cycle is complicated.  Just remember this...  The
     reservoirs (the area to cool and the area to reject heat) MUST be at
     different temperatures.  Think about this question:

     You have a 250 watt refrigerator in an extremely well insulated room
     (no heat loss or gain through the walls, ceiling, or floor).  You plug
     the refrigerator into the wall and open the door.  What happens?  Will
     the room cool down?

     Answer:  Your heat "reservoirs" are the same (the ambient air in the
     room).  You take ambient air, attempt to cool it, and reject the heat
     back into the ambient air.  This "rejected" heat includes the 250
     watts you are using to operate the refrigerator.  The net result is an
     increase in room temperature.

     What I'm trying to say is as long as you have two heat sources at
     different temperatures, you can produce a cooling effect.  I hope this
     response is more "down to earth."

     John Loftin
     Resident Engineer
     Raytheon Appliances

     1966 Pontiac GTO (soon to be powered by a 427 big-block Chevy)
     1992 Geo Metro (my beater)
     1996 Jeep Cherokee (wife's car)

Author:  Mark_Lloyd@amat.com at smtp
Date:    4/24/97 01:11 PM

I've heard, in south africa there are a lot of solar assisted
lithium-bromide air conditioners. My parent's refridgerator is an amonium
cycle. I think the mfg is Servile. Your explaination was a little too
brainiac for guys like me. You obviously understand how the cycle works but
I'm not sure you explained it to everyone