garage wiring

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: garage wiring
From: "Douglas E. Shook" <dshook@usc.edu>
Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 21:48:34 -0400
Hi,

I just looked at today's Homebase ad here in LA as to wiring sizes and
prices--assuming we have a 100 foot run (not hard by the time you run it
from the panel down to the crawl space, down a few feet across the
backyard, to the garage, up the wall, to the box, etc.)

Anyway, for 100 foot run, the cable looks like:
awg  amp   $
10   30    48
8    40    66
6    50    96
4    70    132
2    80    237

As you can see, as you get into the larger gauge wire, the price starts
to jump. I wish I had the 1/0, 2/0, 3/0, etc., pricing, but that was it
for the ad.  These are prices for THHN wire, 3 each. Of course the
conduit, boxes, couplings, etc., are more expensive as you go "up."
Also, if you are doing your own work, anything over #4 is a real hassle
to work through and service.

I guess what I'm trying to say, is that if you need it, go for 200 amp
3/0 service, but let's be realistic, you are burying copper (money)
under the ground--if you don't need it, it probably is not your best
investment (Fidelity Electronics has been a good performer over the past
few years).

But as I said at the outset, more is always better...

I know I'll get flamed on this one.

thank you,

shook
B50SS advocate