Re: air compressors

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: air compressors
From: Matt Liggett <mliggett@bluemarble.net>
Date: 05 Jun 1997 13:01:26 -0500
"Douglas E. Shook" <dshook@usc.edu> writes:
> This is another case where bigger is almost always better, but you
> can spend from $150 to $3,000 very easily.  I'm a British bike,
> British car, homeowner type of guy, so I use my compressor mostly
> for air tools, spraying, some blasting, etc.

Well, I'm a homerenter for now and for the next 5 years, too, I'd
assume.  But, I do have a Midget & a Mini, hope to get a Lotus
someday, and the wife reallllly wants a Jag.  Oh, I should face facts.
I will always be working on old cars, bikes and machines until I die.

> I now have a 220v, 6hp, 60 gallon, single stage Campbell Hausfeld
> compressor that will do most anything short of heavy duty blasting.
> It costs $399 at Home Depot.

This sounds doable (obviously with some more saving).  I do have 220
in my garage now, but I'll probably be moving in a couple of years
when my wife decides where to do her graduate work.  I don't mind
hauling the thing across a few states, but who knows if we'll have 220
service!  Can your unit use 110V or is it strictly 220?  I know that
some are convertible.

Thanks for all of your advice, and keep it coming!

--
Matt Liggett <mliggett@pobox.com> | Bloomington, IN, USA | '60 Mini
<URL:http://pobox.com/~mliggett/> |    '89 SAAB 900t SPG | '70 MG Midget