Re: Solvents for parts washer

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Solvents for parts washer
From: John Nicol <Nicol@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 1997 18:18:36 -0400
B A Lyn Fatt wrote:

> Thanks to all who responded to my question on Permatex Extend Paint.
>
> Now I have another question...
> Looking for a solvent to use with the  parts washer. I've been using
> Simple green, but it can't really do much with the really thick
> grease.
>
> Is there a solvent that will cut grease well and is also kind to the
> paint
> in the parts washer?
>
> Brian
> battmain@juno.com

I use mineral spirits (aka paint thinner) in my parts washer.  Costs
about $2-2.50 a gallon.  It will remove just about any gunk except
carbon.

One of the nicest things about it is it dries on it's own without
needing to be washed off or leaving any residue.  It tends to pull the
grease out of any crud left, so when dry anything you missed comes right
off with a wire brush or scraper.

I have been using it in my Harbor Freight parts washer for about 3
years.  So far the paint is intact with only some discoloration, and the
pump runs fine.

Mineral spirits is what the Safety Kleen man delivers to garages, so
this is what the pros use (until of course someone out laws it).
Somewhat abusive to hands, gloves are recomended.

Regards,

John Nicol